Thursday, September 23, 2010

Feeding Fans -- Culinary Delights of the Concession Stands Under Review!

{Singing} ....buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks......

Ah yes, buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks.  Does ballpark fare get any more traditional than that.  Speaking of which, a man can not live on peanuts and cracker jacks along (I just made that up) but truly what our your favorite ballpark delights?

I have been in a lot of ball parks, stadiums and arenas over the years ranging from the Metro Dome in Minneapolis, Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City,  Mile High Stadium and old McNichols Arena in Denver along with parks in Chicago, Nashville, South Carolina, St. Louis, and several other profession venues.

I have enjoyed the fare at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Rosenblatt and Qwest in Omaha, at Allen Field House in Lawrence, as well as places like Norman, Boulder, Ames and a handful of Division Two fields in the NCAA.

Wow, how many concessions stands have I seen at local parks.  Last count is somewhere in neighborhood of 100 different high school venues over a span of twenty some years and toss in those gas station stops from playing sports through high school and running the roads chasing sports over 15 years.

I have ate a bunch of things that make my doctor cry.  My life insurance agent has a poll going at this point I am sure but the bottom line is nothing beats ball park bistros, stadium suppers and arena appetite fillers.

What are some of your favorites?

I have seen some crazy ones.  Deep fried Twinkies and Oreos in Tennessee and Alabama.  No harmful effects at all there.   Deep fried cheese curds in Milwaukee and Green Bay.  Feel the blood pressure go up.  Chocolate dipped soft pretzels in high school park in Kansas.  Candy for Valentine's Day works but the woman in your life will not be as amused by that as you are.

I have seen some serious meals at the ball park that you nearly need a waiter to carry.  Try the brisket sandwich with the garlic and parmesan fries at Qwest Center Omaha.  So what if it costs as much as your car payment.  There was the two-pound chili dog you could get your hands, or rather fork on, at the Cheyenne Frontier Days in Wyoming.  Don't forget the "personal pizza" the size of a 1970's Buick hubcap at Sioux City Explorers games.  Break out the Rolaids people, we are not sleep for three days.

Area favorites are awesome!  The Frito pie is a big hit at concessions stands around west Texas and a treat to be sure.  Kansas City at Kauffman and Arrowhead do some serious BBQ that will knock you out.  Minnesota has brats the size of a muffler and they know how to smother them in kraut and hot dog sauce (otherwise known as mustard).  Coors Field in Denver they serve this great beverage, and need I say more.

What are your favorites?

Around the neighborhood, I will be looking for the best concession stand fare, so if you see me coming shout out.  Let me know what is on tap.  Send me your favorites right here on the blog or email them to michael@hprnetwork.com and let me know what to watch out for.

Until I see you again, have a great day and be good to each other out there!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment