Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Defining the Fan

Are you a fan?  A fan of what or who? What kind of fan are you?

Ok so maybe question one and two are easy, but what about question three?

What kind of fan are you?

Yes there are many types of fans so I think it is time we defined the fan.

Fan number one is the "Bandwagon Fan."  How much to true fans loath these people.  You know who you are.  Suddenly you have always been a fan of the Indianapolis Colts.  Yep, I have always been a fan of the New Orleans Saints.  Ok, so the good news, these people are not to hard to find out.  Ask them about the Colts when they were still in Baltimore.  If they say "What," you have yourself a bandwagon fan.  The good news about Bandwagon Fans is they never get in the way when you are buy tickets, unless your team ends up in the playoffs and then problems.  They typically won't take to much space up at the sports bar because they are too busy ordering new fan gear on line every other year.  Bandwagon fans are irritating but they only show up during the playoffs.  Kinda of like box elder bugs.

Number two is the "Thug Fan."  These are literally fans of the thugs.  Are you a fan of Pacman Jones?  That was easy!  Trouble is that thug fans hide out among the regular fans but they will show up every time their thug shows up.  When Kolby Bryant got in all the trouble in Colorado, all his fans showed up.  The punk formerly known as Chad Johnson changed his name and became Chad Ochocinco.  Probably a good think he is not a fan of Bulgaria or his his name would be be Осемдесет и пет.  The point is, this group will by anything thug boy endorses.  ANYTHING! Bad news is that these are the goofys that show up on all the talk shows, make the headlines and make the balance of us just sick. 

Number three, is the fair weather fan!  YUCK!  These fans pain me terrible.  I am about as far from this as possible.  These are the people that scream the loudest, know everything their is to know about the team, want the coach to run from president, and are sure their team is the best in history.......when they are winning.  When they are loosing, you can't hear them at games, they leave early, the coach should not be allowed to be the town dog catcher, and we are the worst team in history.  Ok, let me tell you, I know what it means to be on the short end of the stick.  So be careful and stay out of that group.

Number four is the die hard.  There I am.   I have been a Kansas City Royals fan since I was a kid.  The Royals have not even been close to the playoffs since 1996 but yet each year I am convinced that next year will be the year.  Oh Cub fans, you know what I mean.  I have been a Green Bay Packers fan since before that was cool.  Still am even since my boy Brett left to Minnesota.  These fans wear their team cap all the time.  They complain when TV does not air their team even if they are 20 games under 500.  It is always going to be "the year," that things turn around.  These people are fun, faithful and will always proclaim their affiliation and wear their colors with pride. 

Our next fan is the equal oppertunity fan.  These are just plainly fans.  They love the game period.  The big plays, the class act players, the underdog story, and the pure joy of your sport no matter what it may be.  I am one of these as well.  Yes I am a Royals fan, but also I have my secondary teams such as the Texas Rangers, the Minnesota Twins, and the St. Louis Cardinals.  If my Royals don't make the World Series (2011 is our year) then one of these teams will work. 

An finally, the junkie.  Do you have a channel on your TV dedicated to your sport that DVR's all the time?  Do you watch preseason games, scrimmages, training camp video and the draft live?  Ok so I am that too.  I watch preseason baseball.  I just love the games!  A bad day at the ballpark is just not possible. 

What kind of fan are you? 

If nothing else be a good one.

Till I see you out cheering on the team, have a great day and be good to each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment